(Chocolate Red Wine Brownies)
* 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour if you prefer)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
* 11 oz. (312 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate
* 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch
* 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup light brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(For Chocolate Wine Ganache)
* 1 cup heavy cream (or all-purpose cream)
* 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate
* 1/4 cup red wine)
(To make the chocolate wine ganache)
1) In a medium saucepan, heat cream (heavy/all-purpose cream) to just boiling.
2) Remove from heat. Add semi-sweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate. Let it sit for 5 minutes then whisk until smooth.
3) Add wine and whisk to combine.
(To make the brownies)
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C) . Prepare a 9×9 inch baking pan. Grease it with oil then line with wax paper, leaving an excess hanging over two sides of the pan.
2) In a small bowl, whisk flour, salt and cocoa. Set aside.
3) In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips with butter and instant coffee until smooth. Remove from heat and add sugars once the chocolate mixture is melted. (In my case, I just microwave the chocolate mixture).
4) Whisk until thoroughly combined.
5) Add 3 eggs to the chocolate mixture until well blended. Add the remaining eggs followed by vanilla extract and wine. Do not over mix.
6) Add dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture and fold with a rubber spatula. Do not over mix. When there are still a few lumps of unmixed flour and cocoa power, stop mixing.
7) Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted an inch away from the center comes out clean.
8) Allow the brownies to cool slightly before you drizzle the chocolate wine ganache. Let them cool completely and then lift them out of the pan (or tray) using the wax paper. Cut into bars.
* I used all-purpose flour and all-purpose cream here to substitute the gluten-free flour and heavy cream.
* You may also heat the chocolate mixture in the microwave for 1 minute if you don’t have any double boiler.
* This is how my batter turned out (see photo below)