* 170 grams softened butter
* 150 grams white sugar
* 190 grams all-purpose flour
* 2 tbsp cocoa powder
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 piece egg
* 2 pieces egg yolks
* 150 ml milk
* 1/2 tbsp vinegar
* 1 tbsp red food coloring
(Cream Cheese Frosting)
* 1 bar softened cream cheese
* 30 grams butter
* 30 grams shortening (e.g. lard)
* 120 grams confectioners’ sugar
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 F
2) Mix all dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda)
3) Add vinegar to milk. Let sit for 5 minutes to coagulate to make buttermilk, then add red food coloring.
4) Cream softened butter and white sugar using a whisk until pale yellow.
5) Add eggs one at a time.
6) Pour the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until batter is smooth.
7) Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Scoop batter into cups using 1/3 measuring cup. Fill 2/3 only so batter won’t overflow!
8) Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until dome shaped, slightly cracking. Do stick test method for doneness: crumbs should stick.
9) Cool in pan for 5 minutes and transfer to cooling rack while making frosting.
10) Cream softened cream cheese, softened butter using spatula until smooth then add sifted powdered sugar.